Difference between Alpha and Beta Testing are seems to be narrow terms but in reality these are wider terms and confusing too.
Here I am writing the complete Difference between Alpha and Beta Testing in tabular form so that it will clear your confusion and you find the right information in the right way.
Top 13 Differences between Alpha and Beta Testing (Field Testing)
Beta Testing (Field Testing)
1. It is always performed by the developers at the software development site.
1. It is always performed by the customers at their own site.
2. Sometimes it is also performed by Independent Testing Team.
2. It is not performed by Independent Testing Team.
3. Alpha Testing is not open to the market and public
3. Beta Testing is always open to the market and public.
4. It is conducted for the software application and project.
4. It is usually conducted for software product.
5. It is always performed in Virtual Environment.
5. It is performed in Real Time Environment.
6. It is always performed within the organization.
6. It is always performed outside the organization.
7. It is the form of Acceptance Testing.
7. It is also the form of Acceptance Testing.
8. Alpha Testing is definitely performed and carried out at the developing organizations location with the involvement of developers.
8. Beta Testing (field testing) is performed and carried out by users or you can say people at their own locations and site using customer data.
9. It comes under the category of both White Box Testing and Black Box Testing.
9. It is only a kind of Black Box Testing.
10. Alpha Testing is always performed at the time of Acceptance Testing when developers test the product and project to check whether it meets the user requirements or not.
10. Beta Testing is always performed at the time when software product and project are marketed.
11. It is always performed at the developer’s premises in the absence of the users.
11. It is always performed at the user’s premises in the absence of the development team.
12. Alpha Testing is not known by any other different name.
12 Beta Testing is also known by the name Field Testing means it is also known as field testing.
13. It is considered as the User Acceptance Testing (UAT) which is done at developer’s area.
13. It is also considered as the User Acceptance Testing (UAT) which is done at customers or users area.